Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Proposal

*First of all, I went to the gym this morning. The goal is to be super skinny by July. And by superskinny, I mean, I want people to wonder if I'm hitting the pipe (but still with all my teeth and a cute full face) or anorexic. I want to be half the woman I am today. So I hit the elliptical---hard---for hours nonstop (16 minutes). I was sweaty and felt fabulous. Then I talked to one of my BFFs who told me that the elliptical will make my butt big. OMG! That is the very last thing I need to enlarge. WTF was I doing??? Anyway, within an hour I felt worn, tired,drained, beat down, useless. My legs are still wobbly, my head is pounding, and after a few meetings, at which I could barely concentrate, I came home and spent the rest of the afternoon googling lipsocution***

Note to self: figure out this working out thing. It doesn't help when your mate is an athlete. He's been ridiculing me, laughing at me...really condescending because I cannot bench press 200 pounds and such***


But anyway, I wanted to talk about how Jason proposed. I could make this story all flowery and romantic and beautiful, because he straight-up told me last night that this blog was stupid and he never intended to read it. Still I'll stick to the truth, which in its own way was beautiful nonetheless and even if it wasn't...it's all I got.

When a couple has been together for some time, and like I said, are already building a life together, and have discussed "the future" you already know you're getting married. He asked pretty early on would I marry him "one day". Little did I know, "one day" meant "someday" or more accurately "whenever". About a year or so ago, I began to realize. That "one day" was far too abstract. So we set a year, and it came and went until finally I decided to make an executive decision. I gave him a deadline. Jason wanted to have everything in life "just so" before we set a date. New house, new cars, new...whatever. Football was first...he needed a better contract, a more secure situation, etc etc, and although I understood, I began to get impatient.

So when he finally decided that he'd better secure OUR future even as he still works on pursuing his career, he said one night as we lay in bed, "I picked out some rings, wanna see?" Of course I did, so we looked at pictures of what the jeweler had sent and then he said "So I guess we can get married."

"Ask!" I demanded.

He was quiet.

"Ask me!"

He rewinded the movie we were watching (Cadillac Records) to the part where Beyonce sang At Last, and he held me as the whole song played. And then he said, "Will You Marry Me?"

"One day," I replied nonchalantly.


Just kidding.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny. I love your witty style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Robyn, I am going to enjoy following your blog. Very happy for you and can relate to some of today's post. I'll fill you in at a later date ...for some laughs. M. Shuler-Marrow

    ReplyDelete